BREAKING: Trump raises Global Tariffs to 15% after Supreme Court Setback

Follow Us: Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube
LATEST SCORES:
Loading live scores...
Headlines

Police speak on ex-Imo lawmaker allegedly abducted by IPOB/ESN terrorists

Ngozi Ogbu
Abducted former Imo lawmaker, Ngozi Ogbu

Quick Read

Ogbu, who was also a former Chairman of Okigwe Local Government Area, was kidnapped on September 7, 2025, while he was preparing for the burial of his mother and has remained in the custody of his abductors since then.

By Ayorinde Oluokun/Abuja

The Police have said they are working to rescue a former member of Imo State House of Assembly Hon. Ngozi Ogbu who was recently abducted by alleged members of outlawed IPOB/ESN terrorists.

Ogbu, who was also a former Chairman of Okigwe Local Government Area, was kidnapped on September 7, 2025, while he was preparing for the burial of his mother and has remained in the custody of his abductors since then.

However, his abductors had circulated a video where the lawmaker was seen appealing to the Imo State Governor and security operatives to do everything possible to prevent him from dying a painful and avoidable death in the custody of his abductors.

He said his kidnappers are demanding for the dismantling of the security architecture in the Okigwe area to release him.

Following the video, Senator Samuel Anyanwu, the National Secretary of Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, had in a statement on Sunday called on Imo State government and security operatives to take all the steps necessary to rescue the lawmaker from the kidnappers.

Anyawu said seeing the former lawmaker die for committing no crime will be devastating, worrisome and condemnable.

“He has played developmental politics without grudge, rancour and acrimony. It will be undemocratic, wicked, insensitive and disheartening for government to ignore the request by Hon Ogbu for his immediate release to be able to rejoin his family.

However, the Imo State Government had also in a statement on Sunday said it is working to ensure safe rescue of Ogbu’s release in a statement by Declan Mbadiwe, Commissioner for Information, Orientation and Strategy.

Imo Commissioner of Police, CP Aboki Danjuma,
Imo Commissioner of Police, CP Aboki Danjuma,

In reaction, the Imo Police Command, in a statement by DSP Okoye Henry, its Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO) on Sunday said it is aware of the viral video showing Ogbu being held hostage by suspected IPOB/ESN terrorists.

Henry, in the statement said the state Commissioner of Police, CP Aboki Danjuma, has ordered the immediate deployment of the Command’s Tactical Units, in synergy with other security agencies for a detailed investigation that will lead to safe rescue of the lawmaker who was abducted at Onuimo on 07/09/2025 and arrest of his abductors.

“The Command appeals to the general public to remain calm and vigilant. Anyone with useful information that can assist the ongoing operations should please contact the Imo State Police Command on 0803 477 3600 or report at the nearest Police Station.

“The Imo State Police Command assures Imolites that it will not relent until the perpetrators are brought to justice and the victim is safely reunited with his family,”

Comments

×