Resident doctors declare indefinite strike in FCT
Quick Read
He added that the strike would continue “until government and management show genuine commitment to the welfare of doctors and the health of FCT residents.”
By Emmanuel Egobiambu
Resident doctors have declared an indefinite strike in the Federal Capital Territory have declared indefinite strike over alleged failure of the administration of the capital city to meet their demands.
The General Secretary, Association of Resident Doctors (ARD), FCTA, Agbor Affiong announced the indefinite strike in a statement issued on Sunday.
He said the Association took the decision to embark on an indefinite strike action with effect from 8:00 am, Monday, 15th September 2025 at its Emergency General Meeting held on 14th September 2025, resolved
“This action follows the failure of Management to address any of our legitimate demands, even after a one-week warning strike.”
He added that the strike would continue “until government and management show genuine commitment to the welfare of doctors and the health of FCT residents.”
Recall that the resident doctors in FCT had last week embarked on a seven-day warning strike to demand for better working conditions and unpaid entitlements.
In a communiqué signed by its President Dr George Ebong and other executives, ARD-FCTA outlined persistent issues such as manpower shortages, faulty equipment, poor working conditions, and unpaid entitlements across hospitals within the FCT.
During a press conference in Abuja on Monday, Ebong stressed the importance of a proactive approach by the FCT Administration under Minister Nyesom Wike to drive effective, long-term healthcare reforms.
“The FCT health system requires urgent and comprehensive interventions.
“Doctors are overstretched, frequently covering multiple departments due to workforce gaps, placing enormous physical and mental strain on frontline medical personnel,” he stated.
He revealed that no new medical recruitment had occurred in the FCT health sector since 2011, intensifying pressure on existing workers and exacerbating issues like delayed salaries, deductions, and mental burnout.
Ebong referenced recent tragic incidents, including the death of a doctor in Port Harcourt and a nurse from a snakebite in Abaji, highlighting the urgent need for safety and better working conditions.
He said in spite of repeated engagement efforts, the association’s concerns remained unresolved.
Ebong called on the FCT Administration to declare a state of emergency across the 14 district and general hospitals in the territory.
ARD-FCTA emphasised that the strike followed a seven-day ultimatum issued on Aug. 28.
They described the industrial action as a necessary step toward reform, not an intent to disrupt healthcare services.
“If, after seven days, the issues remain unresolved, we may be compelled to initiate indefinite industrial action,” said Ebong, reiterating the need for including doctors in health-sector policymaking.
He urged all doctors to adhere strictly to the strike directive and promptly report any acts of intimidation or coercion to the ARD-FCTA secretariat for immediate attention and appropriate response.
(NAN)
Comments