PENGASSAN issues ultimatum to Dangote Refinery over sacked workers
Quick Read
PENGASSAN had earlier alleged that workers were asked to go because they decided to the labour unions.
By Joan Nwagwu
The Petroleum and Natural Gas Senior Staff Association of Nigeria (PENGASSAN) has alleged that Dangote Petroleum Refinery and Petrochemicals engaged more than 2,000 Indian workers, many of whom allegedly lack valid immigration documentation, to take over the jobs of Nigerians it recently disengaged.
PENGASSAN said this while issuing an ultimatum to the management of Dangote Refinery to recall more than 800 Nigerian workers in a statement on Friday.
Dangote Refinery had in an earlier statement confirmed that it dismissed many members of its staff in a major reorganisation exercise.
The company said the exercised followed reported cases of sabotage in different refinery units that raised serious safety concerns in a statement by Mr Femi Adekunle, its Chief General Manager of Human Asset Management
He noted that the reorganisation followed multiple cases of reported sabotage across refinery units that posed major safety risks.
According to Adekunle, management was left with no choice but to carry out a total reorganisation of the refinery, resulting in the disengagement of the affected staff, effective Thursday, Sept. 25.
But in a statement signed by Mr Lumumba Okugbawa, its General Secretary and made available to newsmen on Friday in Abuja, PENGASSAN rejected the claims of Dangote.
PENGASSAN had earlier alleged that workers were asked to go because they decided to the labour unions.
The Association said workers who joined the union at the refinery were denied entry, forced to pay for transport after buses were withdrawn and later received a mass termination notice.
The union, however, condemned the action and described it as anti-labour and a violation of Nigeria’s labour laws.
“We are deeply saddened to report the unjust termination of more than 800 Nigerian workers, whose dedication and service have been integral to the operations of this plant.
“Instead of valuing and retaining this workforce, management has chosen to replace these qualified Nigerians with foreign workers, in clear breach of the Labour Act and the Trade Union Act,”it said.
The association, therefore, said that the action would not be tolerated, stressing that Nigerian workers must be accorded dignity and respect.
It said that failure to recall the workers would force it to activate all legal options available under the Constitution and relevant labour laws.
“PENGASSAN, therefore, urges the management of Dangote Refinery to recall all terminated Nigerian workers.
“Failure to comply will leave us with no option but to take every legal action available to us as an association,” it added.
The union said that an emergency National Executive Council (NEC) meeting had been scheduled to decide the next line of action, while calling on Nigerians to rally behind the struggle.
“This slave labour of our brothers and sisters must not be supported. An injury to one is an injury to all,” it stated.(NAN)(www.nannews.ng)
PENGASSAN had in solidarity with the Nigeria Union of Petroleum and Natural Gas Workers (NUPENG), earlier threatened to shut down Dangote Refinery over management’s refusal to allow tanker drivers and other employees to unionise.
PENGASSAN voiced its frustration with what it described as the refinery’s persistent resistance to unionisation efforts, stressing that “all diplomatic efforts had failed to resolve the issue.”
The union further warned that if the standoff continued, it would have no option but to “join NUPENG in shutting down refinery operations to protect workers’ rights and interests.”
(NAN)
Comments