Uzodinma cancels planned independence parade
Quick Read
“All residents are, therefore, advised to commemorate the anniversary quietly in their homes and to offer prayers for the peace, progress, and unity of Nigeria and her leaders."
By Victor Nwachukwu
Gov. Hope Uzodinma of Imo State has cancelled his planned Independence Day parade.
This is contained in a statement by the state’s Commissioner for Information, Public Orientation and Strategy, Mr Declan Emelumba in Owerri, on Wednesday.
Emelumba said that all public activities, including parades, earlier scheduled to mark the 65th Independence Anniversary of Nigeria, had been cancelled.
He added that the governor would, however, deliver his Independence Day broadcast to the people of Imo as planned.
“All residents are, therefore, advised to commemorate the anniversary quietly in their homes and to offer prayers for the peace, progress, and unity of Nigeria and her leaders.
“The government of Imo state wishes all citizens a peaceful and reflective 65th Independence Anniversary,” he said.
No reason was, however, given for the cancellation.
Comments