Kogi in mourning as death toll rises in Ibaji boat mishap
Quick Read
The authority continues to warn boat operators against overloading, drug use, and using poorly maintained boats
Eight more bodies have been found after the boat accident that happened last Tuesday in Ibaji, Kogi State.
The Executive Secretary of the Kogi State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA), Alhaji Muktar Atima, confirmed the recovery and said the search operation was still ongoing.
Earlier, the state government had said that at least 26 people died in the tragedy. The accident happened around 4:30 p.m. on Tuesday when a boat carrying mostly traders from Ibaji Local Government Area of Kogi State to Ilushi Market in Edo State capsized.
The Commissioner for Information and Communications, Kingsley Fanwo, released a statement on behalf of Governor Ahmed Ododo, expressing deep sadness over the incident.
The statement read:
“The Government and people of Kogi State are deeply saddened by the boat accident that claimed the lives of several passengers travelling from Ibaji to Ilushi Market in Edo State.
“This is a heartbreaking loss. Our thoughts and prayers are with the affected families and the people of Ibaji Local Government Area.
“The Governor has directed relevant agencies, including SEMA, to support and provide relief to the victims’ families. He also assured that the government will work with federal authorities to improve safety on our waterways and prevent such tragedies in the future.
“We urge people in riverine areas to avoid overloading boats and always wear life jackets when travelling by water.”
The state has been mourning since the tragedy, which reportedly claimed about 32 lives. Some residents said the accident occurred on the River Niger, between Onugwa Village in Kogi and Ilushi in Edo State.
According to SEMA, 80 passengers were on board, and 68 were rescued. Search and rescue operations were still ongoing as of press time.
Reports also revealed that one family in Onugwa lost eight members in the accident.
The incident has again raised concerns about safety on Nigeria’s inland waterways.
In August, the National Inland Waterways Authority (NIWA) began strict enforcement of life jacket use for all water travellers.
The agency launched its “No Life Jacket, No Boarding” campaign to promote safety on the waterways.
NIWA has also recruited officers to patrol major rivers and ensure that boats do not operate at night.
Last year, two boat operators, Alhaji Musa Dangana and Yakubu Dangana, were charged in court after a boat accident that killed 19 people on the Niger River. They faced charges of negligence and failure to follow safety rules.
The authority continues to warn boat operators against overloading, drug use, and using poorly maintained boats.
Governor Ahmed Ododo has promised that his administration will support all federal efforts to make waterways safer.
Former Kogi State Deputy Governor, Simon Achuba, also expressed sadness over the tragedy.
He urged boat operators to always follow safety guidelines and called on the government to fix roads in Ibaji to make transportation safer and easier.
The incident serves as a reminder that while government agencies are improving safety, passengers must also take responsibility by following all safety rules when travelling on water.
Comments