‘Ceasefire Still On,’ says Trump amid bloodshed in Gaza
Quick Read
The escalation comes amid growing concerns that the ceasefire, brokered with heavy international involvement, may be on the brink of collapse.
US President Donald Trump has claimed that the ceasefire in Gaza “remains in place”, even as Israel launched a series of airstrikes across the territory, following a deadly exchange of fire with Hamas in Rafah.
The Israeli Defence Forces (IDF) said it responded to an attack from Hamas militants who allegedly fired an anti-tank missile and opened gunfire on Israeli troops in southern Gaza on Sunday, killing two soldiers near the Rafah border crossing.
In response, Israel said it struck multiple Hamas targets throughout the Gaza Strip by evening. Medical sources inside Gaza reported at least 44 fatalities, although this figure has not been independently verified due to ongoing access restrictions for international journalists.
Hamas denied involvement in the Rafah incident, claiming it was “unaware” of any such clashes in the area. The group, which governs Gaza, reiterated its commitment to the ceasefire but accused Israel of repeated violations. It warned that ongoing strikes could “push the situation toward a total collapse”.
Earlier in the day, the IDF stated that it had resumed enforcement of the ceasefire agreement but accused Hamas of breaching the deal first. Both sides continue to trade blame for breaking the fragile truce.
The escalation comes amid growing concerns that the ceasefire, brokered with heavy international involvement, may be on the brink of collapse.
Comments