How kidnapped Kebbi schoolgirls were rescued from Mokwa forest – Matawalle
Quick Read
The Kebbi State Governor who revealed that the rescued schoolgirls would be in Birnin Kebbi today (Wednesday) for the official handover to their parents also stated that no ransom was paid by either the state or Federal Government for their release.
By Ayorinde Oluokun/Abuja
The Minister of State for Defence, Hon Bello Matawalle has said 24 schoolgirls abducted from Government Girls’ Secondary School, Maga, in Danko/Wasagu Local Government Area of Kebbi State were rescued in Mokwa forest, Niger State after gun-battle with their abductors.
Matawalle revealed this while speaking to journalists alongside Kebbi Governor Nasir Idris following the rescue of the girls who were abducted on Sunday, November 17.
Matawalle said the girls were rescued unhurt by a combined team of soldiers, police, civil defence personnel, vigilantes and hunters after nine days in captivity with no ransom paid.
He added that the schoolgirls would be be taken to hospital for medical examination before being reunited with their parents while applauding security operatives for their courage and professionalism.
Also speaking Governor Idris expressed profound appreciation to President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, Vice President Kashim Shettima, Minister of State for Defence Bello Matawalle, the Progressive Governors’ Forum led by Hope Uzodimma, National Assembly members led by Tajudeen Abbas, the Inspector-General of Police Kayode Egbetokun, and others for the concerns they showed following the abduction of the girls.
The Kebbi State Governor who revealed that the rescued schoolgirls would be in Birnin Kebbi today (Wednesday) for the official handover to their parents also stated that no ransom was paid by either the state or Federal Government for their release.
“No ransom was paid. The Kebbi State Government did not pay a kobo, and neither did the Federal Government. The rescue was achieved solely through the efforts of the security agencies,” the governor said.
We must avert further kidnapping incidents
While welcoming the release of the girls, President Tinubu, in a statement on Tuesday charged the security agencies to intensify efforts to rescue others still in captivity.
This is contained in a statement issued by Presidential spokesperson, Mr Bayo Onanuga, on Tuesday in Abuja.
Tinubu who expressed relief that the schoolgirls had been reunited with the authorities noted that the Kebbi abduction had sparked copycat incidents in Eruku, Kwara , and Papiri, Niger.
The President noted that all 38 the abducted victims in Eruku were freed on Sunday, while the Niger Chairman of the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN), had confirmed that 50 of the missing students from a Catholic School in the state had returned home.
The president commended the security agencies for their efforts so far, urging them to intensify operations to free those still held.
“I am relieved that all the 24 girls have been accounted for.
“Now, we must put as a matter of urgency more boots on the ground in the vulnerable areas to avert further incidents of kidnapping.
”My government will offer all the assistance needed to achieve this,” Tinubu vowed.
Comments