‘Person of Interest’ in Brown University shooting released as killer remains at large
Quick Read
A man earlier described by authorities as a “person of interest” in the mass shooting that occurred on Saturday, Dec. 13, at Brown University has been freed, as police continue efforts to identify and arrest the gunman responsible for the attack.
A man earlier described by authorities as a “person of interest” in the mass shooting that occurred on Saturday, Dec. 13, at Brown University has been freed, as police continue efforts to identify and arrest the gunman responsible for the attack.
At a press briefing on Sunday evening, Col. Oscar Perez of the Providence Police Department confirmed that the individual taken into custody in the early hours of Sunday was released after investigators determined there was insufficient evidence to file charges.
Police have since removed him from the list of persons of interest in the case.
With that development, investigators have renewed their search for the suspect seen in surveillance footage wearing all black and running along a street in Providence around the time of the shooting. The video was made public on Saturday night.
Rhode Island Attorney General Peter F. Neronha declined to elaborate on the decision to release the detained individual when questioned, while Providence Mayor Brett Smiley reassured residents that there was no immediate threat to public safety.
Addressing questions about the lack of additional suspects more than 36 hours after the incident, Neronha explained that limited camera coverage inside the building where the shooting occurred has complicated the investigation. He added that all available campus surveillance footage has been reviewed, but none provided a clear image of the attacker’s face.
“If we had that video, you’d have it. If we could show you a face and say this is our person of interest or suspect, you’d have it,” Neronha said.
The attack unfolded at about 4 p.m. on Saturday, when a masked individual carrying a rifle entered a building on Brown University’s campus and fired shots in a hallway before moving into a classroom.
Inside the room, roughly 60 students were preparing to leave after a two-hour study session for an upcoming economics examination.
Witnesses told investigators that the gunman shouted an unclear statement before opening fire on the students.
The shooting left two students dead and nine others injured. One of the wounded remains in critical condition.
In response, Brown University announced on Sunday that all remaining examinations for the semester had been canceled.
The institution also advised students still on campus to return home for the winter break.
“For the moment, we encourage everyone to focus on their own safety and well-being,” Provost Francis J. Doyle III said in a letter addressed to students.
Comments