BREAKING: Trump raises Global Tariffs to 15% after Supreme Court Setback

Follow Us: Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube
LATEST SCORES:
Loading live scores...
News

Updated: Trump says President Maduro captured after US conducts military strikes on Venezuela

Updated: Trump says President Maduro captured after US conducts military strikes on Venezuela
Updated: Trump says President Maduro captured after US conducts military strikes on Venezuela.

Quick Read

President Donald Trump has claimed that Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro and his wife were captured and flown out of the country following U.S. military strikes on targets inside Venezuela.

President Donald Trump has claimed that Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro and his wife were captured and flown out of the country following U.S. military strikes on targets inside Venezuela.

In a post on Truth Social early Saturday, Mr. Trump said the United States had carried out a “large-scale strike” against Venezuela, describing the operation as successful and confirming that Maduro was taken into custody during the action.

“The United States of America has successfully carried out a large-scale strike against Venezuela and its leader,” Trump wrote, adding that U.S. law enforcement agencies were involved, though he did not specify which ones or provide further operational details.

U.S. officials earlier revealed that the strikes targeted multiple locations, including Venezuelan military facilities, as Washington escalated its campaign against Maduro’s government.

The military action follows months of heightened U.S. presence in the region, with the aircraft carrier USS Gerald R. Ford and several warships deployed in the Caribbean.

In recent weeks, U.S. forces have also seized two oil tankers off the Venezuelan coast, conducted deadly operations against more than 30 boats alleged to be involved in drug trafficking, and struck what Mr. Trump described as dock facilities used to load narcotics.

The Trump administration has long accused Maduro of drug trafficking and collaborating with criminal gangs designated as terrorist organizations, allegations the Venezuelan leader has consistently denied. Maduro was indicted in a U.S. court in 2020 on narcoterrorism charges.

Trump said additional details on the operation would be provided during a press conference scheduled for 11 a.m. ET at Mar-a-Lago.

Following reports of explosions in and around Caracas, the U.S. State Department issued an advisory urging American citizens in Venezuela to shelter in place.

The department said the U.S. Embassy in Bogotá was monitoring the situation closely and reiterated long-standing warnings against travel to Venezuela due to security and health risks.

The military action has drawn criticism from U.S. lawmakers. Democratic Senator Ruben Gallego of Arizona called the operation illegal, describing it as the “second unjustified war” of his lifetime.

Republican Senator Mike Lee of Utah also questioned the constitutional basis for the strikes in the absence of a formal declaration of war or congressional authorization.

Meanwhile, Venezuela’s government declared a state of emergency and urged supporters to take to the streets in protest.

In a statement, officials said national defense plans had been activated and accused the United States of launching an “imperialist attack,” granting the government expanded powers and a broader role for the armed forces.

Comments

×