Scooping fuel is Suicide Mission, Sanwo-Olu warns Lagos residents
Quick Read
Sanwo-Olu spoke on Monday at the signing of the 2026 Appropriation Bill at the Lagos House, Ikeja, shortly after reports emerged of residents rushing to scoop spilled fuel from a tanker incident at Apapa.
By Kazeem Ugbodaga
Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu has described the scooping of fuel by residents at the Apapa Bridge as a “suicide mission,” warning that the Lagos State Government will intensify enforcement to prevent actions capable of triggering mass casualties.
Sanwo-Olu spoke on Monday at the signing of the 2026 Appropriation Bill at the Lagos House, Ikeja, shortly after reports emerged of residents rushing to scoop spilled fuel from a tanker incident at Apapa.
He expressed disappointment at the conduct, stressing that such behaviour places lives at grave risk.
The governor commended the swift intervention of Lagos first responders and the police, who cordoned off the area and brought the situation under control before any explosion or disaster could occur.
He cautioned residents to desist from reckless acts, noting that the state would “leave no stone unturned” in safeguarding lives and property.
Linking the incident to broader issues of indiscipline, Sanwo-Olu said the government would enforce tougher penalties against environmental and safety violations, including indiscriminate dumping of refuse on road medians.
He disclosed that the 2026 budget makes provisions to strengthen the capacity of the Lagos Waste Management Authority (LAWMA) and private sector participants, with plans to expand compactor truck fleets and deploy additional equipment.
“We have instructed LAWMA not only to apprehend offenders but also to ensure they are charged for environmental violations,” the governor said.
On the demolition of shanties in the Makoko axis, Sanwo-Olu reiterated that the exercise was driven strictly by public safety considerations, not ulterior motives.
He said evacuation notices had been served more than two years ago to occupants living within 150 to 250 metres of high-tension power lines.
According to him, the state was not demolishing Makoko wholesale but clearing illegal structures erected beneath high-tension wires and close to the Third Mainland Bridge to avert potential disasters.
Sanwo-Olu also alleged that some local and international non-governmental organisations were misrepresenting the situation for financial gain, insisting the government had evidence to support its claims.
He noted that the exercise, initially planned for December 2024, was extended through 2025 to allow compliance.
Despite the firm stance, the governor said the administration would demonstrate compassion by providing palliatives and relocation stipends to affected residents.
He said local governments and relevant ministries had been directed to offer additional support, stressing that while rules must be enforced, the government remains committed to ensuring Lagosians live in a safe and secure environment.
Comments