NFF defends Eagles’ medal ceremony absence after AFCON third-place win
Quick Read
Addressing the issue, Gusau explained that the players had been compelled to return to their respective clubs immediately after the third-place match, leaving them unable to remain in camp for the presentation.
President of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), Ibrahim Gusau, has shed light on why Super Eagles players did not attend the bronze medal presentation at the 2025 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON).
Nigeria secured third place in the tournament on Saturday after edging Egypt 4–2 on penalties in the play-off. However, when the final between Morocco and Senegal was concluded on Sunday, Nigerian players were notably absent from the medal ceremony.
Addressing the issue, Gusau explained that the players had been compelled to return to their respective clubs immediately after the third-place match, leaving them unable to remain in camp for the presentation.
In remarks quoted by journalist Osasu Obayiuwana in a post on X on Monday, the NFF president said club commitments took precedence, stressing that Nigeria was not alone in the situation.
“The players could not wait until Sunday to collect their medals. Their clubs were already putting pressure on them to return after Saturday’s match,” Gusau said.
He added that the same circumstances applied to Egypt, Nigeria’s opponents in the play-off encounter.
“I am currently in possession of the medals. This was not peculiar to Nigeria alone; Egypt had the same challenge. If the medal ceremony had taken place on the day of the match, the players would have received them,” he stated.
Nigeria’s victory over Egypt marked the country’s ninth third-place finish at AFCON, further extending its record as the most bronze medals won in the history of the competition.
Comments