Lagos schools close over bomb threat
Quick Read
the management of Avi-Cenna informed parents and guardians through a letter signed by Paul Olubajo that the school had received a text message warning of a possible explosion
Tolulope Oke
Two Lagos-based schools, Avi-Cenna International School and Grange School, suspended physical classes on Thursday following a threat of a bomb explosion.
According to The Cable, the management of Avi-Cenna informed parents and guardians through a letter signed by Paul Olubajo that the school had received a text message warning of a possible explosion.
The letter noted that the police had been contacted, and a special unit was deployed to assess the premises. While authorities confirmed the school was safe, management said classes would remain closed for the day.
“We continue to strive to ensure the safety of the school community,” the letter stated, adding that further updates would be provided as necessary.
Grange School also announced a temporary closure, stating that although there was no immediate danger, it was acting responsibly to protect students, staff, and families. The school said online classes would proceed where applicable.
Reacting to the threat, the Lagos State Police Command said a team led by Commissioner Olohundare Jimoh, including officers from the Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD-CBRN) unit and Rapid Response Squad (RRS), had conducted a comprehensive sweep of both schools.
The operation found no Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs) or other hazardous materials.
Police confirmed that an investigation had been launched to identify and apprehend the sender of the threat message.
Comments