BREAKING: Trump raises Global Tariffs to 15% after Supreme Court Setback

Follow Us: Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube
LATEST SCORES:
Loading live scores...
Metro

Fresh revelations emerge over Kaiama, Kwara killings that left 75 dead

Nigerian Army
Army foils terror plot, confiscates AK-47, ammo in Ondo

Quick Read

Fresh revelations have surfaced over Tuesday’s deadly invasion of Woro and Nuku communities in Kaiama Local Government Area of Kwara State, where suspected terrorists launched coordinated attacks that left dozens dead and several residents missing.

Fresh revelations have surfaced over Tuesday’s deadly invasion of Woro and Nuku communities in Kaiama Local Government Area of Kwara State, where suspected terrorists launched coordinated attacks that left dozens dead and several residents missing.

A relative of the traditional ruler of Woro, Mr. Ali Umar, told the News Agency of Nigeria that the attackers struck shortly after 5pm, arriving on motorcycles and taking strategic positions across the community.

“They came around 5pm and completely surrounded the community.

“They started shooting sporadically from all angles so nobody could escape,” he said.

Umar said the sudden assault forced residents to flee in panic, leaving the once-busy community largely deserted.

He also confirmed that the wife of the traditional ruler, Hauwa Umar, alongside the ruler’s mother and three children, are still missing after the incident.

“The chief’s wife, his mother and three of his children are missing.

“That makes five people from his household unaccounted for,” he added.

Residents are now calling for urgent security reinforcement to prevent further attacks and help displaced families return home.

“What we need now is increased security presence to restore confidence and allow people to return,” Umar said.

He revealed that there were earlier warnings about a possible attack, which were reportedly passed to relevant authorities. Soldiers had also conducted patrols earlier that day, a move residents believed initially discouraged the attackers.

Reports also confirmed that similar violence occurred in nearby Nuku community.

Kwara State Governor, AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq, who visited Kaiama alongside top security officials and cabinet members, confirmed that 75 residents were killed after reportedly refusing to submit to extremist demands.

The governor disclosed that President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has approved the immediate deployment of an army battalion to the area under a new security operation tagged Operation Savannah Shield.

According to him, injured victims were taken to the General Hospital, with severe cases referred to the Teaching Hospital.

AbdulRazaq condemned the attack, describing it as a desperate move by terrorist cells facing mounting pressure from ongoing military operations.

He extended condolences to affected families and the Woro and Nuku communities.

Similarly, Speaker of the Kwara State House of Assembly, Yakubu Danladi-Salihu, condemned the killings and called for expanded military operations around border areas linked to criminal activities.

“I commiserate with the Emir of Kaiama and the families of the victims of this horrific attack.

“I am calling for intensified military action against the perpetrators, and I urge our communities to cooperate fully with security agencies to bring an end to these killings once and for all,” he said.

The Speaker also urged residents to stay alert, warning that criminal groups may attempt to relocate as security pressure increases across the state.

He reaffirmed the Assembly’s commitment to backing all measures aimed at protecting lives and property across Kwara State.

Tags:

Comments

×