BREAKING: Trump raises Global Tariffs to 15% after Supreme Court Setback

Follow Us: Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube
LATEST SCORES:
Loading live scores...
News

US breaks silence on Kwara attack, backs Tinubu’s response

Killings: U.S. disagrees with Tinubu's govt as Obadare demands end to Sharia law
President Bola Tinubu and President Donald Trump.

Quick Read

The United States has strongly condemned the recent deadly attack in Kwara State, Nigeria, which reportedly claimed over 160 lives, with the toll still unconfirmed and many victims unaccounted for.

The United States has condemned the recent horrific attacks in Kwara State, Nigeria, which left over 160 people dead, with many still unaccounted for.

In a statement issued on Friday, the US expressed its deepest condolences to the families affected, describing the incident as a “tragic and devastating loss of life.”

The statement also welcomed President Bola Tinubu’s swift response, including the deployment of security forces to protect villages in the affected areas and the directives to federal and state officials to provide humanitarian aid and ensure the perpetrators are brought to justice.

“The United States stands with the people of Nigeria in this difficult time and urges all efforts to safeguard civilians and restore security,” the statement added.

Earlier reports by PM News had highlighted the local authorities’ findings that Islamic extremists were responsible for the mass killings in parts of Kwara State. At least over 75 residents were killed and several houses destroyed when terrorists attacked Nuku and Woro communities in Kaiama Local Government Area earlier this week.

Kwara State Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq, speaking through his Chief Press Secretary, Rauf Ajakaye, said the victims were moderate Muslims targeted for “refusing to surrender to extremists who preached a strange doctrine.” Addressing religious and security leaders at the Government House, AbdulRazaq said:

“From the information we’ve been getting, this village refused to succumb to a perverted form of Islamic doctrine. They aligned under the emirate, abiding by the Islamic faith. They didn’t want an alteration to how they pray to God, how they pray to Allah. Because they refused a change in the doctrine, they were attacked and massacred.”

The governor added that the attack differed from typical kidnappings for ransom, describing it instead as a “pure massacre” that should be condemned.

Following the attacks, President Tinubu ordered the immediate deployment of an army battalion to the affected areas. Presidential spokesman Bayo Onanuga confirmed that the new military command will lead Operation Savannah Shield, aimed at tackling the terrorists and protecting vulnerable communities. Onanuga described the gunmen as “heartless for choosing soft targets in their doomed campaign of terror.”

Comments

×