Bloodshed in Kebbi: Police confirm 33 dead in bandit attack
Quick Read
The police spokesman disclosed that security had been stepped up in the affected communities. He said officers were working alongside the military and other agencies to stabilise the situatio
The Nigeria Police Force in Kebbi State has confirmed that 33 people were killed when armed attackers stormed Bui District in Arewa Local Government Area.
In a statement issued in Birnin Kebbi, the Police Public Relations Officer, Bashir Usman, said the assault took place on Wednesday. The gunmen, suspected to be members of the Lakurawa group, reportedly entered the area to steal livestock.
According to Usman, early findings suggest the attackers may have moved in from Gudu Local Government Area of neighbouring Sokoto State.
“During the attack, residents of Mamunu, Awasaka, Tungan Tsoho, Makangara, Kanzo, Gorun Naidal and Dan Mai Ago mobilised in response to the invasion.
“In the ensuing confrontation, 33 persons lost their lives,” he said.
The police spokesman disclosed that security had been stepped up in the affected communities. He said officers were working alongside the military and other agencies to stabilise the situation.
Additional personnel and operational equipment have been deployed, while patrols are being intensified to deter further violence.
Usman said the command had expressed sympathy to the bereaved families and the wider Arewa community, stressing that tackling heavily armed criminal groups requires coordinated action by security forces.
He advised residents against confronting armed gangs.
“Members of the public are advised not to engage armed criminals directly, as such actions pose grave risks to lives and property,” he cautioned.
He added that security operatives were conducting targeted operations to apprehend those responsible and improve early warning systems in vulnerable parts of the state.
Residents were urged to report suspicious activities through the command’s emergency lines.
Comments