Over 3,000 dead in Lebanon as Israel-Hezbollah war defies peace efforts
Quick Read
Fresh violence erupted across southern Lebanon on Monday as Israeli airstrikes and Hezbollah attacks continued despite the commencement of a new 45-day U.S.-backed ceasefire extension aimed at halting the worsening conflict.
Fresh violence erupted across southern Lebanon on Monday as Israeli airstrikes and Hezbollah attacks continued despite the commencement of a new 45-day U.S.-backed ceasefire extension aimed at halting the worsening conflict.
Lebanese security sources and state media reported multiple Israeli air raids targeting several locations in southern Lebanon, while Hezbollah announced new attacks on Israeli military positions, underscoring the fragility of ongoing diplomatic efforts to end the war.
The latest escalation came as Lebanon’s Health Ministry confirmed that more than 3,000 people have now been killed since hostilities resumed on March 2.
According to official figures released on Monday, the death toll in Lebanon has risen to 3,020, including hundreds of women, children and healthcare workers.
The war, reignited amid the broader U.S.-Israel confrontation with Iran, has continued largely along the Israel-Lebanon border despite repeated international mediation efforts.
A fresh 45-day truce extension brokered through U.S.-hosted negotiations between Israel and Lebanon officially took effect at midnight on Monday following a third round of talks held on Friday.
However, fighting resumed almost immediately.
Overnight, an Israeli airstrike near the eastern Lebanese city of Baalbeck reportedly killed Wael Mahmoud Abd al-Halim, a commander of the Palestinian Islamic Jihad militant group allied with Hezbollah.
Lebanese security officials said Halim’s daughter was also killed in the strike.
The Israeli military confirmed targeting the militant commander, saying the operation was carried out after measures were taken to minimise civilian casualties.
Hezbollah, in response, announced that it launched an explosive drone attack targeting an Iron Dome air defence position in the Galilee region of northern Israel.
The group also claimed responsibility for several attacks on Israeli forces operating inside southern Lebanon.
Israeli military authorities confirmed that projectiles and an explosive drone crossed into Israeli territory during the attacks.
Lebanon’s National News Agency reported that Israeli warplanes struck more than six locations across southern Lebanon during the latest bombardment.
Earlier on Monday, the Israeli military said it had targeted more than 30 Hezbollah positions within 24 hours and issued evacuation warnings to residents of three villages in southern Lebanon ahead of further planned operations.
Israeli forces have continued to maintain a self-declared security zone in parts of southern Lebanon, where military operations and village demolitions are ongoing.
Israel says the buffer zone is intended to protect northern Israeli communities from Hezbollah attacks launched from civilian-populated areas.
According to Israeli authorities, at least 18 soldiers, one defence contractor and two civilians have been killed since the conflict resumed in March.
The conflict has also become increasingly tied to wider regional tensions involving Iran and the United States.
Iran has reportedly demanded an end to Israel’s military campaign in Lebanon as part of broader negotiations surrounding the U.S.-Iran crisis.
Meanwhile, Hezbollah has criticised the Lebanese government’s participation in ceasefire negotiations mediated by Washington.
Comments