Police dismiss rumours of fresh bandit attack in Oyo, explain what really happened
Quick Read
There were reports of commotion in Ogbomoso and the surrounding areas early Tuesday morning. This followed rumours that armed bandits had invaded the vicinity of Are-Ago High School, Ogbomoso and abducted some students.
By Ayorinde Oluokun
The Police have linked the commotion and panic which spread across Ogbomoso and Ajaawa towns and neighbouring communities on Tuesday morning over alleged invasion by armed bandits to the presence of an officer of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) and two other civilians in a school in the area.
There were reports of commotion in Ogbomoso and the surrounding areas early Tuesday morning.
This followed rumours that armed bandits had invaded the vicinity of Are-Ago High School, Ogbomoso and abducted some students.
DSP Ayanlade Olayinka, the spokesperson for Oyo Police Command, said in a statement that surveillance and patrol teams were immediately deployed to the area following the widespread of the rumour and the accompanying panic to ascertain the claim and prevent any breakdown of law and order.
According to him, the police team was told by the school principal, Mrs. Akanbi Ruth, that the alarm originated from information circulated among some students that certain unfamiliar individuals had been sighted behind the school fence.
The principal said this raised suspicion among some teachers and students, prompting immediate concern within the school environment.
However, Olayinka said preliminary investigation revealed that the individuals involved were an officer of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) attached to the Kwara State Command, Ilorin, alongside two other civilians who were found in a Toyota Venza SUV.
“The individuals were questioned and explained that they had merely visited the lady among them in celebration of her birthday,” the police spokesperson said.
He added that relevant NSCDC authorities in Ogbomoso were also contacted to confirm the identity and status of the officer.
Olayinka said there was altercation between some teachers and the visitors which further heightened suspicion within the school premises, leading to spread of rumours to neighbouring schools and surrounding communities.
He said this escalated to panic and tension across parts of Ogbomoso and Ajaawa towns.
The Police spokesperson therefore dismissed claim of attack by bandits in Ogbomoso town and its environs.
“Consequently, the Oyo State Police Command wishes to categorically state that there was no bandit attack, invasion, or any form of security breach in the affected areas as falsely portrayed,” the Oyo Police spokesperson said.
However, he added that patrols and visibility policing around the affected communities have been intensified in the area following the widespread panic.
He added that critical stakeholders were engaged to reassure residents and restore public confidence.
“The area remains peaceful, while normal academic, commercial, and social activities have since resumed”
“The Command therefore strongly warns against the deliberate spread of fake news, misinformation, and unverified security reports capable of causing unnecessary panic, heightening tension, and undermining public peace. The dissemination of false information, particularly on security-related matters, has the potential to create avoidable chaos, disrupt socio-economic activities, and negatively affect the collective security efforts being sustained across the state.
“Members of the public, especially youths and social media users, are advised to refrain from forwarding or amplifying unconfirmed reports without proper verification from appropriate security agencies. Individuals found deliberately peddling fake news or spreading false information intended to incite fear or public disorder will be investigated and prosecuted in accordance with the law,” Olayinka said.
Comments