BREAKING: US, Nigerian forces kill ISIS second-in-command Abu-Bilal al-Minuki

Follow Us: Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube
LATEST SCORES:
Loading live scores...
News

Security operatives made contact, in pursuit of abductors of Oyo students, teachers – DHQ

Security operatives made contact, in pursuit of abductors of Oyo students, teachers - DHQ
Chief of Defence Staff

Quick Read

He also insisted that current intelligence does not support claims of that there is an established or structured terrorist base in the South-West region.

By Sumaila Ogbaje

Security operatives had already made contact with abductors of students and teachers in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State and are pursuing them in operations being conducted across forest corridors, the Director, Defence Media Operations, Maj.-Gen. Michael Onoja said this in a statement on Tuesday in Abuja.

Armed bandits had attacked some schools and abducted students and teachers in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State last Friday.

Onoja in the statement, assured Nigerians that ongoing operations are targeted at rescuing abducted victims and neutralising criminal elements.

He added that the Chief of Defence Staff (CDS), Gen. Olufemi Oluyede, extended condolences to the government and people of Oyo State as well as families of victims affected by the recent attack on some schools in Oriire Local Government Area.

He described the abduction of innocent children and staff as reprehensible, assuring that the Armed Forces were deploying all necessary resources to ensure their safe and unconditional rescue.

“The full weight of the Armed Forces is being brought to bear to ensure the safe return of all abducted victims,” he said.

Onoja urged Nigerians to remain calm, united and continue to support security agencies with credible information.

He also insisted that current intelligence does not support claims of that there is an established or structured terrorist base in the South-West region.

He said the military had earlier conducted a comprehensive clearance operation in the Old Oyo National Park, neutralising criminal elements operating within the area.

“The incident in Oyo State remains an isolated criminal act and does not indicate the presence of an entrenched insurgent structure in the region.

“The Armed Forces caution against narratives capable of creating unnecessary panic or emboldening criminal elements,” he said.

He added that joint operations involving other security agencies and local vigilantes were ongoing to flush out criminal elements and restore normalcy.

He emphasised that community cooperation remained critical, noting that human intelligence from residents would aid ongoing rescue efforts.

“The Armed Forces will not relent until all abducted victims are rescued and those responsible are brought to justice,” he added. (NAN) (www.nannews.ng)

OYS/YMU

Comments