Peter Obi reacts to ‘plan’ by ex-President Jonathan to join 2027 presidential race
Quick Read
Obi said his priority ahead of the 2027 general elections was to build a united, secure and prosperous Nigeria through inclusive governance anchored on the constitutional principle of federal character.
By Naomi Sharang
The former Labour Party (LP) Presidential Candidate, Mr Peter Obi, has said he is not perturbed by speculations that former President Goodluck Jonathan may join the 2027 presidential race.
Obi said this Tuesday while speaking with journalists after he was screened as the candidate of the Nigeria Democratic Congress, NDC for the 2027 presidential election.
The Tanimu Turaki faction of Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, had on Tuesday declared Jonathan its presidential candidate for the 2027 presidential election.
However, Obi, in response to question on the development by journalists said he was not preoccupied with potential opponents but focused on rebuilding the country.
“Democracy is about people offering themselves for service and being voted for. I’m not in any way going around looking for who is contesting. I’m concentrating on how to build a better Nigeria,” he said.
Obi said his priority ahead of the 2027 general elections was to build a united, secure and prosperous Nigeria through inclusive governance anchored on the constitutional principle of federal character.
According to him, Nigeria must become secure enough for citizens to move freely without fear, while families should no longer live in anxiety over insecurity and killings.
The former governor of Anambra also stressed the need to address hunger, poverty and corruption, noting that public resources must work for the benefit of all Nigerians rather than a privileged few,” Obi added.
The former Anambra governor had earlier described his screening by the NDC as “democracy in action.”
He said the screening conducted by a committee chaired by Sam Egwu reflected the party’s commitment to due process and accountability.
“This is democracy in action because NDC chooses to do things properly. So, when we say this is going to be screening, it has to be done right.
“Nigerians want to know whether you meet the stipulated constitutional qualification and provide relevant documents to back them.
“This is the way to know whether everything you have said or declared is the truth and if you can answer questions posed about your commitment to building a united, secure and prosperous Nigeria. That’s why the screening took over two hours,” he said.
Obi dismissed speculations that he had emerged as the party’s consensus presidential candidate, insisting that the process remained open and democratic.
“How can it be based on consensus? The party opened up the expression of interest forms for people to buy. I bought the form. As the party said, I’m the only one who expressed interest. That’s it,” he said.
Obi commended the NDC for conducting what he described as a transparent screening process.
(NAN)
Comments