Oyo School Kidnapping: Makinde confirms arrest of suspected informants
Quick Read
“The information available is that about six individuals have been arrested within the locality. Some of them we believe are informants. Also, three individuals of interest have been arrested,” the governor said.
Oyo State Governor, Seyi Makinde, has confirmed the arrest of suspected informants linked to the gunmen who attacked schools in Oriire Local Government Area, abducting seven teachers and killing an Islamic Studies teacher.
Makinde disclosed this on Sunday while briefing journalists after a security meeting with service commanders and heads of security agencies in the state.
The governor said the exact number of missing pupils had not yet been fully determined, adding that security agencies were still working with the affected communities and school authorities to establish the figure.
According to him, six suspects had been arrested within the affected locality, while three other persons of interest were also taken into custody in connection with the attack.
Makinde said preliminary intelligence suggested that some of those arrested may have acted as informants for the gunmen.
“The information available is that about six individuals have been arrested within the locality. Some of them we believe are informants. Also, three individuals of interest have been arrested,” the governor said.
He linked the attack to the movement of armed groups fleeing intensified military operations against terrorists and bandits in the North-West.
“With the pressure on the terrorists and the bandits in the North-West, they will keep moving southward,” Makinde said.
The governor warned that states in the South-West must strengthen their security architecture to repel or neutralise criminals displaced from conflict zones in other parts of the country.
“But the problem that we have is when you have pressure in one place, we must be prepared on this side to either repel or neutralise any terrorists fleeing the pressure points,” he added.
Makinde said the state government would not depend on military action alone in addressing the crisis, noting that consultations were ongoing with community elders, religious leaders and officials of the Baptist Convention, as one of the affected schools belongs to the church.
“We have decided that we will adopt not just a kinetic approach. We are engaging leaders, elders and religious leaders, especially at the Baptist Convention,” he said.
The governor appealed to residents to remain calm, assuring families of the abducted victims that the government and security agencies were working to secure their safe return.
“We are not taking this lightly. We will do everything within our means to resolve this quickly and bring our children back safely,” Makinde assured.
Describing the incident as “very difficult and challenging,” Makinde announced that the state government would begin daily press briefings to update residents on rescue operations and ongoing security efforts.
Comments