US moves to stop Ebola from reaching American shores
Quick Read
The United States Government has activated an emergency interagency response system following the outbreak of Ebola in parts of Central and East Africa, with Washington warning that urgent containment efforts are underway to prevent the deadly virus from reaching American shores.
By Kazeem Ugbodaga
The United States Government has activated an emergency interagency response system following the outbreak of Ebola in parts of Central and East Africa, with Washington warning that urgent containment efforts are underway to prevent the deadly virus from reaching American shores.
The U.S. Department of State disclosed on Monday that it was coordinating a comprehensive response to confirmed Ebola cases in the Democratic Republic of Congo, DRC, and Uganda, while also monitoring neighbouring countries including Rwanda and South Sudan.
According to a statement issued by the Office of the Spokesperson, the United States moved within 24 hours of confirming the outbreak to establish an interagency coordination cell and incident management system in Washington, D.C.
American embassies in the affected countries have also activated monitoring groups to track developments and communicate safety information to U.S. citizens living in the region.
“The Department is convening a daily leadership-level meeting to ensure the response remains a top priority,” the statement said.
The U.S. government stated that protecting Americans abroad and preventing cross-border transmission of the virus remain its immediate priorities.
As part of emergency measures, the Department of State said it worked closely with the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, CDC, on the issuance of a Title 42 order on May 18, 2026, restricting entry into the United States for foreign nationals who had visited the DRC, Uganda or South Sudan within the previous 21 days.
The State Department added that it was collaborating with the Department of Homeland Security, DHS, to enforce the restrictions and implement any future quarantine or isolation protocols worldwide.
Authorities also confirmed ongoing discussions involving the CDC and the U.S. military regarding possible evacuation or repatriation plans for affected American citizens, depending on exposure levels and medical needs.
Within 48 hours of activating its emergency plan, the United States announced an initial $13 million in foreign assistance to support immediate outbreak response operations in affected countries.
According to the State Department, the funding would strengthen surveillance systems, laboratory testing capacity, risk communication, safe burial procedures, border screening and clinical management of Ebola cases.
The department disclosed that additional bilateral funding for outbreak response and humanitarian support was also being prepared as more information emerges about the scale of the epidemic.
Washington said the emergency intervention builds on previous U.S. investments in disease surveillance, outbreak detection and bilateral health agreements signed with the DRC and Uganda under the America First Global Health Strategy.
The State Department further revealed that it was working closely with the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs, OCHA, and international donor partners to coordinate rapid humanitarian support on the ground.
It added that the U.S. had already announced $1.8 billion in additional funding for OCHA pooled humanitarian funds, including $250 million specifically earmarked for the DRC and Uganda.
The United States said the funding would be prioritised to strengthen both humanitarian assistance and outbreak response mechanisms in the affected countries.
Department officials confirmed ongoing coordination with the European Union, the United Kingdom and other international partners to ensure a unified global response to the Ebola outbreak.
“American leadership remains indispensable in confronting global health threats,” the statement said.
“The United States will continue to protect American citizens, support affected communities, and marshal international action to contain this outbreak quickly, decisively, and effectively.”
The latest outbreak has renewed fears of a wider regional health emergency in Africa, where previous Ebola epidemics killed thousands and overwhelmed fragile healthcare systems.
Comments