BREAKING: US, Nigerian forces kill ISIS second-in-command Abu-Bilal al-Minuki

Follow Us: Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube
LATEST SCORES:
Loading live scores...
Headlines

‘It’s not true’ – Oyo reacts to reports of released abducted teachers and students

Makinde
Seyi Makinde

Quick Read

Some of the posts insisted that the victims had been released, while others described the claim as fake, noting that no major media organisation or government source had confirmed the development.

Special Adviser on Security to Oyo State Governor Seyi Makinde, Abayomi Fagbenro, has dismissed viral reports claiming that teachers and students abducted during last Friday’s attack on schools in Oriire Local Government Area have been released.

Fagbenro said the reports circulating on social media were false, insisting that the abducted victims had not been freed as of Thursday morning.

“As of 10:35 am, it is not true,” he said while responding to inquiries on the claim.

The denial followed several social media posts which claimed that the abducted teachers and students had regained their freedom.

Some of the posts insisted that the victims had been released, while others described the claim as fake, noting that no major media organisation or government source had confirmed the development.

The Oyo State Police Public Relations Officer, Olayinka Ayanlade, also said he was not aware of the release of the abducted victims.

Ayanlade, however, said security agencies were intensifying efforts to rescue those still in captivity.

Gunmen had last Friday attacked three schools in the Ahoro-Esinle/Yawota axis of Ogbomoso in Oriire Local Government Area.

The affected schools were Baptist Nursery and Primary School, Yawota; Community Grammar School; and LEA Primary School, Esiele.

The attack led to the abduction of pupils, students and teachers, while at least one person was confirmed killed.

Governor Makinde had earlier disclosed that seven students were abducted from Community Grammar School, while 18 children and seven teachers were kidnapped from First Baptist Primary and Nursery School.

Following the attack, the Inspector-General of Police, Tunji Disu, ordered the deployment of more detectives from the Force Headquarters in Abuja to join the rescue operation.

The Defence Headquarters also said troops had made contact with the abductors and were working to secure the release of the victims.

Speaker of the House of Representatives, Tajudeen Abbas, had also called for a careful and timely operation to rescue the abducted students and teachers.

Comments