BREAKING: Suspect shot dead inside Trump’s Mar-a-Lago Secure Perimeter named

Follow Us: Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube
LATEST SCORES:
Loading live scores...
Metro

3rd Mainland Bridge: Commuters Besiege Rail, Ferry Services

Commuters in Lagos on Monday besieged train and ferry stations, following the partial closure of the Third Mainland Bridge for rehabilitation.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that diversion of traffic on the bridge began on Sunday following the flag off of work by the Minister of State for Works, Mr. Bashir Yuguda.

NAN correspondents, who visited the ferry and railway terminals in the state on Monday, report that the diversion of road traffic has further put pressure on the two other means of transportation.

The Ijoko and Agbado terminals of the Mass Transit Train Service (MTTS) of the Nigeria Railway Corporation (NRC) were filled to the brim as early as 5 a.m. for the 5.30 a.m. train.

The MTTS operates from Monday through Friday, passenger train services from Ijoko and Agbado in Ogun, to Ido and Apapa in Lagos State.

NAN reports that the NRC operates six shuttles in the morning and six in the evening, with each shuttle being filled to capacity by passengers.

The already congested coaches, were under pressure on Monday as many passengers sat on the roofs and others hung on the entrance and sides of the coaches.

Some commuters, who spoke to NAN, urged the management of the NRC to provide more locomotives and coaches especially during the partial closure of the 3rd Mainland Bridge.

A civil servant, Mr. Olayemi Animashun, said that the train service had been turned to a dangerous venture as more passengers now risk their lives hanging to whatever they could hold all through the trip.

“The NRC management should come to the commuters’ aid before lives are lost,” Animashaun said.

Two traders, Mrs. Adunni Aina and Mrs. Musidat Olowookere, said the train currently was being used by both the rich and the poor because of the repair work on the bridge.

Mr. Adeseyi Sijuwade, NRC Managing Director, has however, assured commuters that three additional coaches would be added to each locomotive, jerking them up by about 25 per cent capacity.

Sijuwade told NAN that there was need to help move commuters, especially at this period of the repair works on the 3rd Mainland Bridge.

“Although this will put more pressure on our train, we need to move people especially at this period when our patronage tends to increase,” he said.

Water transportation has also recorded a surge in passengers following the partial closure of the 3rd Mainland Bridge.

NAN reports that the car parks provided by the waterways transport operators at Majidun, Ebute, Ijede and Baiyeku in Ikorodu area were jam-packed as their owners took to ferry service.

Mrs. Sekinotu Ajibade, a businesswoman, said that the closure of the bridge made her resort to the waterways as an alternative mode of transportation.

“I envisaged that there will be traffic, so I decided to take the speed boat so as to avoid the rush and stress of going by road.

“I spend just 45 minutes to get to the jetty to board a speedboat to Ebute Ero. I see the transport fare as an investment because I will get to my shop early,” she said.

Mr. Tony Azubike, a banker, who uses the waterways transport because of its ease and convenience— even before the partial closure of the 3rd Mainland Bridge, said: “I usually park my car at the jetty in the morning and pick it on my way back in the evening, thus I have saved myself from the stress of the traffic.

“Within 20 to 25 minutes, I am in Victoria Island. It is stress-free and very convenient for me.”

Mr. Ayo Bamtefa, an engineer, said that the partial closure of the 3rd Mainland Bridge had made the waterways an alternative means of transport for most residents.

“Ikorodu is highly populated and it will not be advisable to go by road considering that the route is known for traffic gridlock.

“Since the area is largely surrounded by water, I will advise residents to embrace the waterways more, so as to reduce the traffic congestion on the road,” he said.

Mr. Zachary Dekina, Operations Manager, Metroferry Service, told NAN that the company was prepared for the expected crowd that would result from the repair works on the bridge.

“We expected a large turnout of passengers and we are prepared. We have been able to reduce the crowd because about 15 speedboats and a ferry left for Victoria Island and CMS between 7 a.m. and 8 a.m.

“We have moved over 350 passengers within the hour. The speed boat and ferry are preparing for their second trip,” he said.

An official of the Lagos State Waterways Authority (LASWA), Mr. Edunola Adeola, assured commuters that the waterway was a safe and fast means of transportation.

Comments

×