Electricity Worker Electrocuted Asaba

electrocution

Jethro Ibileke/Asaba 

Tragedy occurred on Wednesday night in Asaba, capital of Delta State, southern Nigeria, when a 35-year-old staff of Benin Electricity Distribution Company (BEDC), identified as Bright Ekene Abunwaeze, was electrocuted.

It was gathered that the deceased met his untimely death while attempting to fix an apparently faulty 450 KVA high tension wire on Nnebisi road service unit, Asaba.

One of the eye witnesses who declined mentioning his name, reported that the BEDC worker arrived at the scene of the incident in a Hilux van with two other members of staff of the company at about 8 p.m., to effect repairs on the high tension line.

“We saw three BEDC staff when they came with a Hilux van at about 8 p.m. and started climbing up that night. We were wondering wyh they were working at that time. A few minutes after, we saw light sparking at the top of the pole where the man was working.

Related News

Suddenly, the man was electrocuted and hung on the pole for a while, but he later felt down. His hand was burnt and smoke was coming out from his nose and ear. Eventually his head burst,”  the eyewitness said.

It was learnt that his two other colleagues upon seeing what happened, took to their heels.

The Asaba Business District Public Relations Officer of the company, Mrs. Esther Okolie, who confirmed the incident, described the death of Abunwaeze as a big loss to the company, adding that the deceased was one of their best and most dedicated staff.

Mrs. Okolie stated that investigation was ongoing to unravel how a high tension wire that was without current could electrocute the staff.