15th December, 2015
National Publicity Secretary, Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, Chief Olisa Metuh has accused the President Muhammadu Buhari’s government of trying to silence him because of his criticism of the administration.
Metuh, in a briefing on Tuesday noted that in the last seven months, as opposition spokesperson, he had been hounded, harassed, intimidated and threatened severally, saying that in order to avoid personal and family pressure, he had refrained from bringing them to the public domain.
“However, on account of recent information available to me, I now have cause to believe that the Federal Government is desperate and may have finalized plans to silence me,” he alleged.
Metuh said as someone who had been a private person, having not taken any public office, the choice of where, how and when to invest and conduct his personal business remained his prerogative.
“In this regard, I note that I never had any contract dealings with the immediate past Federal Government or any of its security apparatus. In the course of my duties as the National Publicity Secretary of our party, the then leader of our party and President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria invited me and directed that I carry out some assignment relating to my office and which he duly funded.
“It is important to note that the former President was fully satisfied with the way and manner I handled the assignment. Finally, I reiterate that the present government should not use the apparatus of state power to settle personal scores,” he said.