29th July, 2021
The Kano state government failed to file charges against Sheikh Abduljabbar Kabara after the accused had been remanded for 12 days in the Kano Correctional Centre.
The counsel for Abduljabbar, Saleh Bakaro, made this known in court on Wednesday.
Bakaro made this known after the government prosecutors, headed by Aisha Mahmud, prayed the court to move the matter to August 25 to allow the team to present full charges against the accused instead of the First Information Report he was earlier arraigned on.
Mahmud said, “We have additional statements concerning this case, hence we seek the permission of this court to give us additional time to bring them before it.
“We want to present charges before the court, because what is now before the court is the FIR. We seek an adjournment to August 25, 2021, to prepare the charges.”
Responding to Mahmud, Bakaro said: “It is now 12 days since the accused was brought before the court; it is sad that they have not prepared charges against the accused.
“This is evidence that they are not prepared for the case, especially as the accused is in detention; the court should take note of this.”
Bakaro also prayed the court to choose a better date not exceeding 14 days from the date of arraignment as provided by law.
However, Ibrahim Yola, presiding over the Upper Sharia Court, Kofar Kudu, Kano State, at his discretion, fixed August 18, 2021, to allow the lawyers representing the state government to present its charges against Sheikh Kabara.
Yola also ordered Kabara to be remanded in the correctional centre until then.
Abduljabbar Kabara was arraigned before the Upper Sharia Court for alleged blasphemy against Prophet Muhammad and causing a public disturbance.