28th January, 2022
Tyson Fury’s defence of his heavyweight world title against Dillian Whyte has been confirmed, along with the purse bid.
Frank Warren, the Gypsy King’s promoter in the UK, won a purse bid on Friday evening of £30million following months of arduous negotiations.
In an 80/20 split, the WBC champion – who defended his title against Deontay Wilder in October last year – is set to earn £23m from the bout.
A BT Sport statement read: ‘The time for talking is over! After years of back and forth, the heavyweight showdown is on! Here we go”.
Whyte will be entitled to £6m.
The fight could take place in April at the Principality Stadium in Cardiff.
Reacting to the news, Fury said: ‘I’m coming home baby. Get ready for the biggest British dust-up since Lennox Lewis vs Frank Bruno. History in the making.’
On Thursday, Fury had warned Whyte to get prepared for his annihilation.
“I can’t wait to punch Whyte’s face in!, Fury said.
“I’ll give him the best hiding he’s ever had. Whyte, train hard! Because you are getting annihilated.”
It briefly appeared that Oleksandr Usyk was an option to fight Fury to decide the division’s undisputed champion – although Anthony Joshua denied reports that he had agreed to step aside from his contracted rematch with the Ukrainian who beat him last year.
Fury had previously hinted that Joshua had chosen to go ahead with a second fight against IBF, WBA and WBO champion Usyk, instead of opting to step aside and fight the winner of Fury vs Usyk.
“Joshua and [his promoter] Eddie Hearn are the worst businessmen in history – today they lost $90m,” Fury claimed.