BREAKING: US, Nigerian forces kill ISIS second-in-command Abu-Bilal al-Minuki

Follow Us: Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube
LATEST SCORES:
Loading live scores...
Headlines

2027: Peter Obi emerges NDC’s sole presidential aspirant

Obi
Peter Obi

Quick Read

The NDC warned that no further extension would be granted beyond the new deadline, urging aspirants to comply strictly with the party’s guidelines and timetable.

The Nigeria Democratic Congress, NDC, has closed the sale of Expression of Interest Forms for its 2027 presidential ticket, with former Labour Party presidential candidate, Mr Peter Obi, emerging as the only aspirant who purchased the form.

According to reports,  as of the close of sale for presidential forms, Obi, a former governor of Anambra State, was the sole aspirant seeking the NDC presidential ticket.

The development has strengthened expectations that Obi may emerge as the party’s consensus presidential candidate, subject to screening and other internal party processes.

However, the NDC has extended by one week the deadline for the collection of Expression of Interest Forms for other elective positions.

The extension applies to aspirants seeking tickets for governorship, Senate, House of Representatives and State Houses of Assembly seats.

In a statement, the National Secretary of the party, Mr Ikenna Morgan Enekweizu, said the earlier deadline of 6:00 p.m. on Sunday, May 17, 2026, had been shifted to 12 midnight on Sunday, May 24, 2026.

Enekweizu, however, clarified that the extension did not affect the presidential race, as the collection of Expression of Interest Forms for the office of President had officially closed.

According to the timetable released by the party, screening of aspirants who purchased and completed their forms will begin on Tuesday, May 19, and end on Tuesday, May 26, 2026.

The party also said collection and return of Nomination Forms for screened and cleared aspirants would commence on May 20 and close on May 26, 2026.

The NDC warned that no further extension would be granted beyond the new deadline, urging aspirants to comply strictly with the party’s guidelines and timetable.

It directed all aspirants to appear for screening and pre-qualification interviews at designated venues nationwide with relevant documents.

The documents required include educational certificates, birth certificate or declaration of age, passport photographs, voter’s card, NDC membership card and curriculum vitae.

The party said all documents submitted to the Screening Committee must be provided in six copies.

According to the statement, the screening process will consider the wishes of the electorate, local peculiarities, capacity, competence and character of aspirants.

The party also directed the Screening Committee to take into account its affirmative action policy for women, youths and persons living with disabilities.

NDC further encouraged aspirants to embrace consensus-building, stressing that only those cleared through the screening process would be eligible to purchase nomination forms.

Obi, who was the Labour Party presidential candidate in the 2023 general election, recently moved to the NDC after leaving the African Democratic Congress, ADC.

With no other presidential aspirant purchasing the NDC form before the deadline, Obi is now positioned as the leading figure in the party’s 2027 presidential calculations.

The former Anambra governor is expected to face the party’s screening process before any formal declaration of his candidacy.

His emergence as the only presidential aspirant could shape the NDC’s strategy ahead of the 2027 election, especially as opposition parties continue realignments across the country.

Tags:

Comments