BREAKING: Gunman shot dead inside Trump’s Mar-a-Lago Secure Perimeter

Follow Us: Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube
LATEST SCORES:
Loading live scores...

Tag: Senator Chris Ngige

Hazard Allowance: FG, NMA to continue negotiations next week –Ngige Allowance By Joan Nwagwu Abuja, Sept. 15, 2021 (NAN) The Federal Government and the Nigerian Medical Association (NMA) are to continue their negotiations next week, on the proposed new hazard allowance for doctors working in government owned hospitals. The Minister of Labour and Employment, Sen. Chris Ngige stated this at a meeting of the Presidential Committee on Salaries with the leadership of NMA and its affiliates, on the review of the hazard allowance in the health sector. This was conveyed in a statement signed by Mr Charles Akpan, Deputy Director, Press and Public Relations, in the ministry, on Wednesday, in Abuja. The minister recalled that this discussion had begun with all the health workers since March, but along the line, the NMA disagreed on fundamental principles of negotiation with the Joint Health Sector Unions (JOHESU). He noted that the president of the NMA requested that the discussion should be compartmentalised, which is allowed in any Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA). According to the minister, when people who are not doing the same work are negotiating an interest, if they decide to be separated, it can be done at the beginning or midway, but that will put a lot of load on the negotiator. He, therefore, appealed to the NMA and JOHESU to sheath their swords, to enable the conclusion of the matter before the end of September. “If we do so, it is to your own advantage because it has to be captured in the 2022 budget. Government will also look at its purse and if there is money, the President will sign and it will be a win-win situation for all of us. “Last week, we discussed with JOHESU. We had a fruitful discussion. It is in that spirit that I am asking you that this should be fruitful, so that we can rest the issue of paying N5,000 hazard allowance. ”In 2020, it was not you who informed government. It was by our own volition that we invited both sides to the meeting where we handed over special COVID allowances to medical, dental workers and other allied health workers and we did it seamlessly. ‘I don’t know whether it was because of the fear of COVID that you worked together. Today, the divide is there. Having read the altercation between you and JOHESU, which is in the media, we can’t believe that both of you are managing one patient. ”We are appealing to you, let us unite and see how we can navigate this thing. This is COVID-19 period. Stop this dichotomy between you and JOHESU. Both of you are managing one patient. It is team work. Nobody can do it alone,” he said. On the prolonged strike of the National Association of Resident Doctors (NARD), Ngige called on the striking resident doctors to note their insensitivity to the plight of Nigerians, by embarking on strike in the middle of a pandemic. He maintained that the Federal Government had been religiously implementing its own part of the Memorandum of understanding (MOU) it signed with the NMA, but that rather than do their own part, the doctors have chosen to make the government the whipping dog. Ngige noted that he had remained neutral as the conciliator, but that he would no longer allow the idea of unions whipping the government every time they come for negotiations, even when the government was trying its utmost best with the other side liable of not doing their own part. He also said that timeframes had been fixed for actions to be taken, with those who are to take the actions spelt out. On the issue of MEDSABAN and MDCAN raised by the NMA, Ngige said they had set up a committee, which had held its inaugural meeting, adding that even before their inaugural meeting, the government had placed all of them back on CONMESS. “I used my powers as conciliator to say that there is a court judgment and that the government must obey. Court judgments are not what you pick and choose. No matter how bad a court judgment, affected persons must obey. ”That is whether you are government or private sector. A court has ordered that these people should be placed back on CONMESS, pending when it concludes this suit. “Again, we have a presidential committee on salaries and wages. We have put every wage on hold. There is a circular to that effect. ”So, we would have had a look at it before the amputation of people’s income in the emergency situation of COVID-19. Government is sensitive. I am sensitive to all these things,” he said. He noted that in the same MOU, NMA was asked to work towards the withdrawal of the case filed by some doctors at the industrial court and prevail on the resident doctors to call off their strike, but both have not been done. “The same goes with the Medical Residency Training Fund (MRTF). On this table, the budget office of the federation said we have N4.8 billion. Last time we paid N4.2 billion with skirmishes. ”We don’t want those skirmishes to recur. And they assured that their N4.8 billion is there and awaiting disbursement. We gave you an assignment with the CMDs and the Postgraduate Medical College to work and bring a genuine list. ”Postgraduate Medical has submitted a list of about 8,000 persons to the Ministry of Health and they discovered about 2,000 do not have registration numbers to say that they are registered doctors. So, the list was withdrawn and sent back to the college,” he said. Ngige also said that the local ARD chapters were supposed to be helping to make that possible, especially the CMDs of teaching hospitals ought to supply names of residents there. He added that most importantly, the Post graduate College should have a data base of your residents. Some of the names there are SMO 1, SMO 2, PMO 1 and PMO 2. Some have finished residency and gone out. Some are residents who have spent more than six years. ”According to the Act, they are supposed to exit. So, if you gather 8,000 of such people, why should government pay you? It happened in 2020. The problem is still there. ”Those who said they will return the money are not returning. The number is there. The Accountant General opened the account. So, you now sit down here and castigate government,” he said. Also, the Secretary General of NMA, Dr Philip Ekpe, who called for prompt attention to resolve the anarchy in the health sector, also urged the ministry to explore the window opened by the intervention of President Muhammadu Buhari to see that all the negotiations were not in vain.

News

FG, NMA continue talks next week, says Ngige

The Minister of Labour and Employment, Sen. Chris Ngige stated this at a meeting of the Presidential Committee on Salaries…
Sen. Chris Ngige, the Minister of Labour and Employment

News

588 medical doctors wrongly paid by Nigerian govt

He explained that affected doctors were not qualified for the Medical Residency Training Fund, meant for particular category of doctors.

News

Buhari felicitates with Ngige @ 68

President Muhammadu Buhari on Friday rejoiced with the Labour and Employment Minister, Senator Dr Chris Nwabueze Ngige OON, as he…

News

Local content Act, pivotal to job creation – Minister

Sen. Chris Ngige, the Minister of Labour and Employment has affirmed the Federal Government’s commitment to the implementation of the…

News

Minister reaffirms FG’s commitment to enforce 1990 Factories Act

The Minister of Labour and Employment, Sen. Chris Ngige, has reiterated the commitment of the Federal Government to enforce the…

News

Democracy Day: Minister urges Nigerians to be patient, hopeful

The Minister of Labour and Employment, Dr Chris Ngige has urged Nigerians to be patient and have hope in the…

News

FG to compensate Civilian JTF for role in fighting insurgency

The Federal Government says it will train the Civilian JTF in various vocational skills and empower them to become self-reliant.

News

Ngige tasks IOM to support FG skill development efforts

The Minister of Labour and Employment, Senator Chris Ngige has urged the International Organisation for Migration (IOM), to support the…

News

Job creation cardinal point of Buhari’s govt – Labour Minister

Creating jobs and repositioning the Ministry of Labour and Employment to meet the challenges of unemployment and maintaining industrial harmony…

Metro, News, Politics

Wammako, Ngige lead APC convention committee

Nigeria’s All Progressives Congress (APC) has raised a 15-member committee ahead of its National Convention rescheduled for June 13 and…

Metro, News

El-Rufai reports at DSS headquarters

Mallam Nasir el Rufai, former Minister of Federal Capital Territory, FCT on Monday morning reported at the Abuja headquarters of…

Headlines, Metro, News

Divisions in Anambra APC as Okonkwo suspended

There is schism among members of the All Progressives Congress in Anambra State, eastern Nigeria, as the newly sworn-in interim…

Headlines, News

Ngige wants Anambra poll cancelled, sues INEC, Obiano

The All Progressives Congress (APC) candidate in the 16 November Anambra State Governorship Election, Dr. Chris Ngige has sued the…

Headlines, Metro, News

Ngige, Nwoye, Ubah want Anambra poll annulled

The trio of Senator Chris Ngige of APC, Mr Tony Nwoye of PDP and Dr Ifeanyi Ubah of LP have…

Headlines, News

Anambra poll a mockery of democracy, says Ngige

Senator Chris Ngige, the governorship candidate of the All Progressives Congress has indicated that his party will challenge the outcome…

Metro, News

Ngige, Ubah condemn INEC over irregularities

Seun Bisuga/ Awka All Progressives Congress gubernatorial candidate, Chris Ngige, has condemned INEC’s inconsistencies in the ongoing election in the…

Metro, News

Stampede: Ngige campaign group faults Obi’s reaction

The Senator Chris Ngige Campaign Organisation has described as “unfortunate” Gov. Peter Obi’s reaction to the tragedy at the Holy…

Metro, News

Anambra poll: Four candidates made final round of debate

Four governorship candidates out of the 23 contestants for the 16 November election in the eastern Nigerian state of Anambra…

News, Politics

Anambra Has Lost 5,000 Companies —Ngige

Candidate of the All Progressives Congress, APC, in the 14 November governorship election holding in Anambra State, eastern Nigeria, Senator…

Metro, News

Ngige Campaign Group Cries Out Over Plot To Rig Poll

The Chris Ngige Campaign Organisation says it has uncovered plans to “systematically” rig its candidate out of the 16 November…

News, Politics

Anambra 20th Poorest State Under Gov Obi —Ngige

The All Progressives Congress, APC, candidate in the 16 November governorship election in Anambra State, Senator Chris Ngige says the…

Metro, News, Politics

NGIGE: I Left N12.8b In Anambra

Former Governor of Anambra State, Senator Chris Ngige says he left N12.8 billion in Anambra State Government’s coffers before leaving…

Metro, News, Politics

Anambra: APC rolls out campaign committee for Ngige

The All Progressives Congress (APC) on Tuesday inaugurated a 25-man campaign committee to ensure victory for its governorship candidate, Senator…

Metro, News, Politics

Ngige picks APC’s ticket for Anambra race

Senator Chris Ngige, representing Central Senatorial District of the eastern Nigerian state of Anambra, has emerged the flag bearer of…

Metro, News

Ex-convict Ezeemo to battle Ngige for APC ticket

Nigeria’s All Progressives Congress (APC) has nullified the disqualification of Mr. Godwin Ezeemo from contesting for the party’s ticket to…

News

Okorocha: APC proves worldview wrong about Ndigbo

Governor Rochas Okorocha of the eastern Nigerian state of Imo has said that the endorsement of Sen. Chris Ngige as…

News

Ngige: Anambra 2014 poll test case for party merger

Senator Chris Ngige of the Action Congress of Nigeria said that the 2014 governorship election in Anambra state will provide…

Headlines, News

Court Strikes Out Ngige’s Appeal

The Court of Appeal in Enugu has struck out a petition by Senator Chris Ngige of ACN challenging the decision…
×